Onward Terms of Service
Last Updated: 02/14/23
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in Onward Solutions, Inc. (doing business as “Onward,” “we,” or “us”) and our website at onwardapp.com, along with our related websites, networks, applications, mobile applications, and other services provided by us (collectively, the “Service”). These Terms of Service are a legally binding contract between you and Onward regarding your use of the Service.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS CAREFULLY.
ARBITRATION NOTICE. Except for certain kinds of disputes described in Section 17, you agree that disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved by binding, individual arbitration, and BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS, YOU AND ONWARD ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY CLASS ACTION OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. YOU AGREE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under this contract (except for matters that may be taken to small claims court). Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury. (See Section 17.)
- Service Overview. We provide an app for divorced and separated parents to track and manage shared expenses for their children. Using the Services, co-parents can track and manage shared expenses, upload receipts, see a clear balance of who owes who, and record all communication in one central place, which can then be exported if needed for court purposes.
- Eligibility. You must be at least 18 years old to use the Service. By agreeing to these Terms, you represent and warrant to us that: (a) you are at least 18 years old; (b) you have not previously been suspended or removed from the Service; and (c) your registration and your use of the Service is in compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations. If you are an entity, organization, or company, the individual accepting these Terms on your behalf represents and warrants that they have authority to bind you to these Terms and you agree to be bound by these Terms.
- Account, Registration and Subscription. To access most features of the Service, you must register for an account. When you register for an account, you may be required to provide us with some information about yourself, such as your name, email address, phone number, or other contact information. You agree that the information you provide to us is accurate and that you will keep it accurate and up-to-date at all times. When you register, you will be asked to provide a password. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password, and you accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account. If you believe that your account is no longer secure, then you must immediately notify us at email@example.com. Each account is for a single user only. You are not allowed to share or disclose your login credentials with any other user or person. We may cancel or suspend your access to the Service if you share your credentials. You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your account, or otherwise transfer your account, nor may you sell, charge others for the right to use, or transfer any subscriptions other than if and as expressly permitted by Onward. You may be required to have a valid payment method on file to initiate your free trial; in this case, if you do not cancel before your free trial period ends, you may be enrolled in a paid subscription and charged in accordance with these Terms. If your account was registered on or after January 17, 2023, you may access the Service on a free trial basis for the first 30 days after your registration. The free trial is limited to one account per person, email address, or payment card (regardless of whether more than one person shares any of these account attributes). We may cancel or suspend your access to the Service if we believe you have violated the terms of the free trial. Your account will be subject to all applicable fees under these Terms unless you cancel through your app store before the end of the free trial period. If you do not cancel your free trial, your paid subscription will begin as soon as your initial payment is processed when your free trial period ends. The subscription fee as notified to you when you subscribe and charged if you elect to renew. All fees are in U.S. dollars. Onward reserves the right to change its pricing terms for subscriptions at any time and such changes will be effective upon 30 days’ notice to you from Onward. If you do not agree with such changes to Onward’s pricing terms, you may choose not to renew your subscription by cancelling in accordance with these Terms. All accounts registered prior to January 17, 2023 qualify for a waiver of the subscription fee so long as the account remains active and in good standing. When you purchase a subscription, we may ask you to supply payment information relevant to that transaction, such as your payment card number, the expiration date of your payment card, and your address for billing purposes. You represent and warrant that you have the legal right to use all payment method(s) represented by your payment information. The amounts due and payable by you for a payment transaction through the Service will be presented to you before you complete the transaction. If you choose to initiate a transaction via the Service, you authorize us to provide your payment information to third party service providers so we can complete your transaction, and you agree: (a) to pay the applicable fees and any taxes; (b) that Onward may charge your payment card or third party payment processing account, including, but not limited to, your account with the app store (which are limited to the Apple App Store or Google Play) where the Onward app is available, for verification, pre-authorization and payment purposes; and (c) to bear any additional charges that your app store, bank or other financial service provider may levy on you. You will receive confirmation from your app store after we confirm the payment for your order. Your order is not binding on Onward until accepted and confirmed by us and your app store. Unless you cancel before renewal, your subscription renews automatically for an additional period equal in length to the expiring subscription term. Unless you change your payment information before renewal, the automatic payment for your renewal subscription will use the same payment information you provided for your expiring subscription. You must cancel your subscription before it renews to avoid being charged the fees for the next subscription period. You can cancel the renewal of your subscription at any time through your app store. Your access to the paid Service will cease as soon as the subscription period you have paid for ends, after which you may continue to log in to the app only to download your records, including your list of expenses and their status. All payments made to Onward are non-refundable except as allowed through your app store. If you demonstrate a pattern of repeated registrations for the paid Service followed by cancellation and request for refund, we may, in our sole discretion, withhold further registrations and/or refuse further requests for refund.
- Linking Bank Accounts. If enabled by Onward for your Account, you may link an external account at a third-party financial institution (a "Linked Bank Account") to enable online transfers between your Linked Bank Account and your co-parent’s Linked Bank Account. If enabled by Onward, you may link your Linked Bank Account with your Account by logging into your financial institution on our mobile application or website. We may also verify your control of the Linked Bank Account by requiring you to submit proof of ownership of the Linked Bank Account.
All Linked Bank Accounts must be with financial institutions in the United States. We may decline the use of any Linked Bank Account that we believe may present a risk to you and/or us.
When adding a Linked Bank Account, you represent and warrant that the account is not a joint account, and that you are the sole owner of and have the right to access, use and authorize us to use the Linked Bank Account for information and funds transfer purposes.
If you close your Linked Bank Account, you are responsible for removing it as an account eligible for the linking service to avoid any transaction failure and possible charges related to a failed transaction.
We are not responsible for any acts or omissions by the external financial institution or other provider of any Linked Bank Account, including, without limitation, any modification, interruption, or discontinuance of any Linked Bank Account by such financial institution.
We are not able to enable online transfers between you and your co-parent if they do not have a Linked Bank Account or if they have closed their Linked Bank Account.
In the event of any transfer made in error, whether or not due to any action directly taken by you, we reserve the right to take necessary or appropriate action, in our discretion, to rectify the error, and will notify you to the extent required by applicable laws and regulations.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT WHEN ONWARD AND OUR THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS ARE EFFECTING A TRANSFER FROM OR TO YOUR LINKED BANK ACCOUNT, WE AND OUR THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS ARE ACTING AS YOUR AGENT, AND NOT AS THE AGENT OR ON BEHALF OF ANY THIRD PARTY.
YOU AGREE THAT WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY COSTS, FEES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF (1) OUR ACCESS TO THE LINKED BANK ACCOUNT; (2) OUR DEBIT AND/OR CREDIT OR INABILITY TO DEBIT AND/OR CREDIT THE LINKED BANK ACCOUNT IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR INSTRUCTIONS; (3) ANY INACCURACY, INCOMPLETENESS OR MISINFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE INFORMATION RETRIEVED FROM THE LINKED BANK ACCOUNT; (4) ANY CHARGES IMPOSED BY THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION OR ANY OTHER PROVIDER OF THE LINKED BANK ACCOUNT; (5) ANY LATE OR OTHERWISE IMPROPER EXECUTION OF PAYMENT, OR FAILURE TO EXCEUTE PAYMENT, WHERE WE HAVE MADE COMMERVIALLY REASONABLE EFFORTS TO PROPERY EXECUTE SUCH PAYMENT; AND (6) ANY FUNDS TRANSFER LIMITATIONS SET BY THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION OR OTHER PROVIDER OF THE LINKED BANK ACCOUNTS.
5.1 Limited License. Subject to your complete and ongoing compliance with these Terms, Onward grants you, solely for your personal, non-commercial use, a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to: (a) install and use one object code copy of any mobile application associated with the Service obtained from a legitimate marketplace (whether installed by you or pre-installed on your mobile device by the device manufacturer) on a mobile device that you own or control; and (b) access and use the Service.
5.2 License Restrictions. Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law, you may not: (a) reproduce, distribute, publicly display, or publicly perform the Service; (b) make modifications to the Service; or (c) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the Service, including any security or access control mechanism. If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the Service, you may not use it.
5.3 Feedback. If you choose to provide input and suggestions regarding problems with or proposed modifications or improvements to the Service (“Feedback”), then you hereby grant Onward an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully-paid, royalty-free right to exploit the Feedback in any manner and for any purpose, including to improve the Service and create other products and services.
- Ownership; Proprietary Rights. The Service is owned and operated by Onward. The visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, data, computer code (including source code or object code), products, software, services, and all other elements of the Service (“Materials”) provided by Onward are protected by intellectual property and other laws. All Materials included in the Service are the property of Onward or its third party licensors. Except as expressly authorized by Onward, you may not make use of the Materials. Onward reserves all rights to the Materials not granted expressly in these Terms.
- Third Party Terms
7.1 Third Party Services and Linked Websites. Onward may provide tools through the Service that enable you to export information, including User Content, to third party services. By using one of these tools, you agree that Onward may transfer that information to the applicable third party service. Third party services are not under Onward’s control, and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, Onward is not responsible for any third party service’s use of your exported information. The Service may also contain links to third party websites. Linked websites are not under Onward’s control, and Onward is not responsible for their content.
7.3 Third Party Software. The Service may include or incorporate third party software components that are generally available free of charge under licenses granting recipients broad rights to copy, modify, and distribute those components (“Third Party Components”). Although the Service is provided to you subject to these Terms, nothing in these Terms prevents, restricts, or is intended to prevent or restrict you from obtaining Third Party Components under the applicable third party licenses or to limit your use of Third Party Components under those third party licenses.
- User Content
8.1 User Content Generally. Certain features of the Service may permit users to upload content to the Service, including photos, video, images, folders, data, text, expenses, and other types of works (“User Content”) and to publish User Content on the Service. You retain any copyright and other proprietary rights that you may hold in the User Content that you post to the Service.
8.2 Limited License Grant to Onward. By providing User Content to or via the Service, you grant Onward a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid right and license (with the right to sublicense) to host, store, transfer, display, perform, reproduce, modify for the purpose of formatting for display, and distribute your User Content, in whole or in part, in any media formats and through any media channels now known or hereafter developed.
8.3 Limited License Grant to Other Users. By providing User Content to or via the Service to other users of the Service, you grant those users a non-exclusive license to access and use that User Content as permitted by these Terms and the functionality of the Service.
8.4 User Content Representations and Warranties. Onward disclaims any and all liability in connection with User Content. You are solely responsible for your User Content and the consequences of providing User Content via the Service. By providing User Content via the Service, you affirm, represent, and warrant that:
a. you are the creator and owner of the User Content, or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to authorize Onward and users of the Service to use and distribute your User Content as necessary to exercise the licenses granted by you in this Section, in the manner contemplated by Onward, the Service, and these Terms;
b. your User Content, and the use of your User Content as contemplated by these Terms, does not and will not: (i) infringe, violate, or misappropriate any third party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; (ii) slander, defame, libel, or invade the right of privacy, publicity or other property rights of any other person; or (iii) cause Onward to violate any law or regulation; and
c. your User Content could not be deemed by a reasonable person to be objectionable, profane, indecent, pornographic, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, hateful, or otherwise inappropriate.
8.5 User Content Disclaimer. We are under no obligation to edit or control User Content that you or other users post or publish, and will not be in any way responsible or liable for User Content. Onward may, however, at any time and without prior notice, screen, remove, edit, or block any User Content that in our sole judgment violates these Terms or is otherwise objectionable. You understand that when using the Service you will be exposed to User Content from a variety of sources and acknowledge that User Content may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable. You agree to waive, and do waive, any legal or equitable right or remedy you have or may have against Onward with respect to User Content. If notified by a user or content owner that User Content allegedly does not conform to these Terms, we may investigate the allegation and determine in our sole discretion whether to remove the User Content, which we reserve the right to do at any time and without notice. For clarity, Onward does not permit copyright-infringing activities on the Service.
9.1 Text Messaging. Onward and those acting on our behalf may send you and your co-parent text (SMS) messages at the phone numbers you provide us. These messages may include operational messages about your use of the Service, as well as marketing messages. You may opt out of receiving marketing and/or operational text messages at any time by texting “STOP” to the number you are receiving text messages from with the mobile device receiving the messages. You may continue to receive text messages for a short period while Onward processes your request and may also receive text messages confirming our receipt of the opt-out request. Opting out of receiving operational text messages may impact the functionality that the Service provides to you. Text messages may be sent using an automatic telephone dialing system. Your agreement to receive text messages is not a condition of any purchase or use of the Service. Standard data and message rates may apply whenever you send or receive such messages, as specified by your carrier.
9.2 Push Notifications. When you install our app on your mobile device, you agree to receive push notifications, which are messages an app sends you on your mobile device when the app is not on. You can turn off notifications by visiting your mobile device’s “settings” page.
9.3 Email. We may send you emails concerning out products and services, as well as those of third parties. You may opt out of promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in the promotional email itself.
- Prohibited Conduct. BY USING THE SERVICE YOU AGREE NOT TO:
a. use the Service for any illegal purpose or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law;
b. harass, threaten, demean, embarrass, or otherwise harm any other user of the Service;
c. violate, or encourage others to violate, any right of a third party, including by infringing or misappropriating any third party intellectual property right;
d. interfere with security-related features of the Service, including by: (i) disabling or circumventing features that prevent or limit use or copying of any content; or (ii) reverse engineering or otherwise attempting to discover the source code of any portion of the Service except to the extent that the activity is expressly permitted by applicable law;
e. interfere with the operation of the Service or any user’s enjoyment of the Service, including by: (i) uploading or otherwise disseminating any virus, adware, spyware, worm, or other malicious code; (ii) making any unsolicited offer or advertisement to another user of the Service; (iii) collecting personal information about another user or third party without consent; or (iv) interfering with or disrupting any network, equipment, or server connected to or used to provide the Service;
f. perform any fraudulent activity including impersonating any person or entity, claiming a false affiliation, accessing any other Service account without permission, or falsifying your age or date of birth;
g. sell or otherwise transfer the access granted under these Terms or any Materials (as defined in Section 6) or any right or ability to view, access, or use any Materials; or
h. attempt to do any of the acts described in this Section 10 or assist or permit any person in engaging in any of the acts described in this Section 10.
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
11.1 DMCA Notification. We comply with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act applicable to Internet service providers (17 U.S.C. §512, as amended). If you have an intellectual property rights-related complaint about material posted on the Service, you may contact our Designated Agent at the following address:
Onward Solutions, Inc.
ATTN: Legal Department (Copyright Notification)
2219 Main St
Santa Monica, CA 90405
11.2 Any notice alleging that materials hosted by or distributed through the Service infringe intellectual property rights must include the following information:
a. an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or other right being infringed;
b. a description of the copyrighted work or other intellectual property that you claim has been infringed;
c. a description of the material that you claim is infringing and where it is located on the Service;
d. your address, telephone number, and email address;
e. a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the use of the materials on the Service of which you are complaining is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
f. a statement by you that the above information in your notice is accurate and that, under penalty of perjury, you are the copyright or intellectual property owner or authorized to act on the copyright or intellectual property owner’s behalf.
11.3 Repeat Infringers. Onward will promptly terminate the accounts of users that are determined by Onward to be repeat infringers.
- Modification of these Terms. We reserve the right to change these Terms on a going-forward basis at any time upon 7 days’ notice. Please check these Terms periodically for changes. If a change to these Terms materially modifies your rights or obligations, we may require that you accept the modified Terms in order to continue to use the Service. Material modifications are effective upon your acceptance of the modified Terms. Immaterial modifications are effective upon publication. Except as expressly permitted in this Section 11, these Terms may be amended only by a written agreement signed by authorized representatives of the parties to these Terms. Disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the version of these Terms that was in effect at the time the dispute arose.
- Term, Termination and Modification of the Service
13.1 Term. These Terms are effective beginning when you accept the Terms or first download, install, access, or use the Service, and ending when terminated as described in Section 12.2.
13.2 Termination. If you violate any provision of these Terms, your authorization to access the Service and these Terms automatically terminate. In addition, Onward may, at its sole discretion, terminate these Terms or your account on the Service, or suspend or terminate your access to the Service, at any time for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. You may terminate your account and these Terms at any time by deleting the app or contacting customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13.3 Effect of Termination. Upon termination of these Terms: (a) your license rights will terminate and you must immediately cease all use of the Service; (b) you will no longer be authorized to access your account or the Service; and (c) Sections 5.3 (Feedback), 6 (Ownership; Proprietary Rights), 8.2 (Limited License Grant to Onward), 13.3 (Effect of Termination, 14 (Indemnity), 15 (Disclaimers; No Warranties), 16 (Limitation of Liability), 17 (Dispute Resolution and Arbitration). 18 (Miscellaneous), and 19 (Notice Regarding Apple) will survive.
13.4 Modification of the Service. Onward reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Service at any time (including by limiting or discontinuing certain features of the Service), temporarily or permanently, without notice to you. Onward will have no liability for any change to the Service or any suspension or termination of your access to or use of the Service.
- Indemnity. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you are responsible for your use of the Service, and you will defend and indemnify Onward and its officers, directors, employees, consultants, affiliates, subsidiaries and agents (together, the “Onward Entities”) from and against every claim brought by a third party, and any related liability, damage, loss, and expense, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or connected with: (a) your unauthorized use of, or misuse of, the Service; (b) your violation of any portion of these Terms, any representation, warranty, or agreement referenced in these Terms, or any applicable law or regulation; (c) your violation of any third party right, including any intellectual property right or publicity, confidentiality, other property, or privacy right; or (d) any dispute or issue between you and any third party. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you (without limiting your indemnification obligations with respect to that matter), and in that case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of those claims.
- Disclaimers; No Warranties
THE SERVICE AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ON AN “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. ONWARD DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, RELATING TO THE SERVICE AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE, INCLUDING: (A) ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT; AND (B) ANY WARRANTY ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE. ONWARD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE OR ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE, OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT OFFERED THROUGH THE SERVICE, WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, OR FREE OF ERRORS, VIRUSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, AND ONWARD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT ANY OF THOSE ISSUES WILL BE CORRECTED.
NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SERVICE OR ONWARD ENTITIES OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY REGARDING ANY OF THE ONWARD ENTITIES OR THE SERVICE THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE SERVICE AND YOUR DEALING WITH ANY OTHER SERVICE USER. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU USE ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND THAT WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY (INCLUDING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR MOBILE DEVICE USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE) OR ANY LOSS OF DATA, INCLUDING USER CONTENT.
THE LIMITATIONS, EXCLUSIONS AND DISCLAIMERS IN THIS SECTION APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Onward does not disclaim any warranty or other right that Onward is prohibited from disclaiming under applicable law.
- Limitation of Liability
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL THE ONWARD ENTITIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES (INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, OR ANY OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF, OR YOUR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, THE SERVICE OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT ON THE SERVICE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STATUTE, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT ANY ONWARD ENTITY HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE.
EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 16.5 AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE ONWARD ENTITIES TO YOU FOR ALL CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OF OR ANY INABILITY TO USE ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE OR OTHERWISE UNDER THESE TERMS, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, OR OTHERWISE, IS LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF: (A) THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID TO ONWARD FOR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE IN THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE EVENT OR CIRCUMSTANCE GIVING RISE TO CLAIM; OR (B) $100.
EACH PROVISION OF THESE TERMS THAT PROVIDES FOR A LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES, OR EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES IS INTENDED TO AND DOES ALLOCATE THE RISKS BETWEEN THE PARTIES UNDER THESE TERMS. THIS ALLOCATION IS AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES. EACH OF THESE PROVISIONS IS SEVERABLE AND INDEPENDENT OF ALL OTHER PROVISIONS OF THESE TERMS. THE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION 16 WILL APPLY EVEN IF ANY LIMITED REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
- Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
17.1 Generally. In the interest of resolving disputes between you and Onward in the most expedient and cost effective manner, and except as described in Section 17.2 and 17.3, you and Onward agree that every dispute arising in connection with these Terms will be resolved by binding arbitration. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a judge or jury, may allow for more limited discovery than in court, and can be subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award. This agreement to arbitrate disputes includes all claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of these Terms, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory, and regardless of whether a claim arises during or after the termination of these Terms. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, BY ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, YOU AND ONWARD ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION.
17.2 Exceptions. Despite the provisions of Section 17.1, nothing in these Terms will be deemed to waive, preclude, or otherwise limit the right of either party to: (a) bring an individual action in small claims court; (b) pursue an enforcement action through the applicable federal, state, or local agency if that action is available; (c) seek injunctive relief in a court of law in aid of arbitration; or (d) to file suit in a court of law to address an intellectual property infringement claim.
17.3 Opt-Out. If you do not wish to resolve disputes by binding arbitration, you may opt out of the provisions of this Section 17 within 30 days after the date that you agree to these Terms by sending a letter to Onward Solutions, Inc., Attention: Legal Department – Arbitration Opt-Out, 2219 Main St, Unit 156, Santa Monica, CA 90405 that specifies: your full legal name, the email address associated with your account on the Service, and a statement that you wish to opt out of arbitration (“Opt-Out Notice”). Once Onward receives your Opt-Out Notice, this Section 17 will be void and any action arising out of these Terms will be resolved as set forth in Section 18.2. The remaining provisions of these Terms will not be affected by your Opt-Out Notice.
17.4 Arbitrator. Any arbitration between you and Onward will be settled under the Federal Arbitration Act and administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) under its Consumer Arbitration Rules (collectively, “AAA Rules”) as modified by these Terms. The AAA Rules and filing forms are available online at www.adr.org, by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879, or by contacting Onward. The arbitrator has exclusive authority to resolve any dispute relating to the interpretation, applicability, or enforceability of this binding arbitration agreement.
17.5 Notice of Arbitration; Process. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send a written notice of the dispute to the other party by certified U.S. Mail or by Federal Express (signature required) or, only if that other party has not provided a current physical address, then by electronic mail (“Notice of Arbitration”). Onward’s address for Notice is: Onward Solutions, Inc., 2219 Main St, Unit 156, Santa Monica, CA 90405 . The Notice of Arbitration must: (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought (“Demand”). The parties will make good faith efforts to resolve the claim directly, but if the parties do not reach an agreement to do so within 30 days after the Notice of Arbitration is received, you or Onward may commence an arbitration proceeding. All arbitration proceedings between the parties will be confidential unless otherwise agreed by the parties in writing. During the arbitration, the amount of any settlement offer made by you or Onward must not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator makes a final decision and award, if any. If the arbitrator awards you an amount higher than the last written settlement amount offered by Onward in settlement of the dispute prior to the award, Onward will pay to you the higher of: (i) the amount awarded by the arbitrator; or (ii) $10,000.
17.6 Arbitration Fees, Location. If you commence arbitration in accordance with these Terms, Onward will reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee, unless your claim is for more than $10,000, in which case the payment of any fees will be decided by the AAA Rules. Any arbitration hearing will take place at a location to be agreed upon in Los Angeles County, California, but if the claim is for $10,000 or less, you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted: (a) solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator; (b) through a non-appearance based telephone hearing; or (c) by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules in the county (or parish) of your billing address. If the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the Demand is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)), then the payment of all fees will be governed by the AAA Rules. In that case, you agree to reimburse Onward for all monies previously disbursed by it that are otherwise your obligation to pay under the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator must issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the decision and award, if any, are based. The arbitrator may make rulings and resolve disputes as to the payment and reimbursement of fees or expenses at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party made within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits.
17.7 No Class Actions. YOU AND ONWARD AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. Further, unless both you and Onward agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
17.8 Modifications to this Arbitration Provision. If Onward makes any future change to this arbitration provision, other than a change to Onward’s address for Notice of Arbitration, you may reject the change by sending us written notice within 30 days of the change to Onward’s address for Notice of Arbitration, in which case your account with Onward will be immediately terminated and this arbitration provision, as in effect immediately prior to the changes you rejected will survive.
17.9 Enforceability. If Section 17.7 or the entirety of this Section 17 is found to be unenforceable, or if Onward receives an Opt-Out Notice from you, then the entirety of this Section 17 will be null and void and, in that case, exclusive jurisdiction and venue described in Section 18.2 will govern any action arising out of or related to these Terms.
18.2 Governing Law. These Terms are governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to conflict of law principles. You and Onward submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state courts and federal courts located within Los Angeles County, California for resolution of any lawsuit or court proceeding permitted under these Terms. We operate the Service from our offices in California, and we make no representation that Materials included in the Service are appropriate or available for use in other locations.
18.4 Additional Terms. Your use of the Service is subject to all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to the Service or certain features of the Service that we may post on or link to from the Service (the “Additional Terms”). All Additional Terms are incorporated by this reference into, and made a part of, these Terms.
18.6 Contact Information. The Service is offered by Onward Solutions, Inc., located at 2219 Main St, Unit 156, Santa Monica, CA 90405 . You may contact us by sending correspondence to that address or by emailing us at email@example.com.
18.7 Notice to California Residents. If you are a California resident, under California Civil Code Section 1789.3, you may contact the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs in writing at 1625 N. Market Blvd., Suite S-202, Sacramento, California 95834, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210 in order to resolve a complaint regarding the Service or to receive further information regarding use of the Service.
18.8 No Support. We are under no obligation to provide support for the Service. In instances where we may offer support, the support will be subject to published policies.
18.9 International Use. The Service is intended for visitors located within the United States. We make no representation that the Service is appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. Access to the Service from countries or territories or by individuals where such access is illegal is prohibited.
- Notice Regarding Apple. This Section 19 only applies to the extent you are using our mobile application on an iOS device. You acknowledge that these Terms are between you and Onward only, not with Apple Inc. (“Apple”), and Apple is not responsible for the Service or the content thereof. Apple has no obligation to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the Service. If the Service fails to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify Apple and Apple will refund any applicable purchase price for the mobile application to you; and, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple has no other warranty obligation with respect to the Service. Apple is not responsible for addressing any claims by you or any third party relating to the Service or your possession and/or use of the Service, including: (a) product liability claims; (b) any claim that the Service fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; or (c) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation. Apple is not responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any third party claim that the Service and/or your possession and use of the Service infringe a third party’s intellectual property rights. You agree to comply with any applicable third party terms when using the Service. Apple and Apple’s subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of these Terms, and upon your acceptance of these Terms, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these Terms against you as a third party beneficiary of these Terms. You hereby represent and warrant that: (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.